Day 4 of Armchair BEA… sadly, the week is coming to an end. For those of you at BEA 15, hope you had a great time! For those who have been posting from the comfort of their favorite chair, like me, hope you enjoyed the conversations. So final post:
Book to Movie Adaptions
What books do you want to be made into a movie or television show? What are some of your favorites? We’ll explore more about this topic, especially what works and what doesn’t. Are there any upcoming shows or movies that you’re excited for? What are your recommendations?
What books do I want to be made into a movie?
- The last book I read, A Dangerous Fortune by Ken Follett, would make a great movie. I was already pairing actors and actresses who I think would play each character’s role well. (Maisie could be played by Rachel McAdams; Aunt Augusta could be played by Jennifer Connelly?)
- I Shall Be Near to You by Erin Lindsay McCabe could make a cute movie based during the Civil War.
- Basically any Gillian Flynn can be turned into a plot-twisted thriller of a movie.
Book to move adaptations:
- They did a very good job sticking to the story in the Gone Girl movie.
- I started watching The Pillars of the Earth mini-series first, then stopped a couple of episodes in to pick up the book. I thought the series was good (although I never finished it after it inspired me to start reading the book); the book was great. Now I’m Ken Follett obsessed.
- Duh Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit… great casting, great portrayals… mostly good scripts. Although there were parts of the books I missed seeing in the movies, like Tom Bombadil’s character in LOTR and quite a few things in season 5 of GOT… and I was not a fan of how they portrayed Beorn in The Hobbit (just wasn’t what I envisioned… I envisioned more bear, more hair, more gnarly face…)
Sometimes it’s refreshing to see a different portrayal from book to script. However, I have found I really enjoy seeing the book played out exactly as it was written on television on many occasions… I especially have learned this while watching the new season of GOT. I sit here and comment the whole time about what was different in the book. I have found I have a “book loyalty” that gets me frustrated with directors and screen writers sometimes… I want to see what was originally created, now a different interpretation. But I know I should have a more open mind and I’m working on it… but COME ON GOT… stop killing people I was not ready to die/aren’t supposed to be dead yet!
Upcoming movies or TV shows I’m excited for… I need to think about this more. While it is inspired by a notorious book series, I am really excited for the new 007 James Bond: Spectre. I have started Ian Fleming’s series and intend to slowly read through the books. I intend to run to the theatre opening weekend when Spectre comes out.
What movies or TV shows do you recommend that are adaptations from books? Any coming up you can’t wait for? Please share! I’m always looking for new reads and new flicks. Now where is the popcorn…