So excited for Armchair BEA to begin! You’ve seen Michelle’s introductory post. Now I want to share my #LibraryLove for the local public library near my community! First, the prompt:
Librarians are awesome. Not only are they helpful, they’re very fun to talk to and give great recommendations. Show your library some love, and the wonderful men and women that run it. Why is your library fantastic? Got any funny stories? Feature your library on your blog? Do an interview with a librarian?
So why is my library fantastic? I wanted to highlight Pohick Library in Fairfax, VA first:
- I can walk there it is so close
- They always have books for sale in the front of the library (I stalk these shelves constantly)
- They have awesome 3-day large book sales on select weekends throughout the year that I ALWAYS find at least a few of the books on my to-own list (plus they have the $5 bag day on Sunday… time to stalk up on new reads that grab my attention too!)
- The librarians are always super helpful when I am looking for books… always friendly, both the staff and volunteers!
Why are libraries in general fantastic?
- They always get the new titles in, and a lot of copies to make the holds list go quickly
- I’m in a book club… one book a month for the club adds up, especially next to my other books on my to-read for-fun list. Libraries give me the chance to read these books without having to spend the money
- See a book, but don’t know if you’ll like it? Borrow it from the library and return it if it’s not your style!
- Online e-books. My Kindle and the free online e-books I can borrow from my local library while sitting at home have changed my life
- They offer great study spaces and quiet rooms for those looking for an escape or location to do research without the distractions (although, the books are a great distraction to me…)
- As a Masters student in U.S. History, I needed to do A LOT of research for my papers and find the latest texts on certain topics, in addition to some of the original works. Libraries made this SO EASY… not just the school library, but the local public libraries in Fairfax County. My research excelled thanks to the variety of books the public libraries offered
One more library I wanted to highlight was the Library of Virginia in Richmond, VA:
- When I was working on my Master’s thesis on Freedom Suites in Virginia, the Library of Virginia contained the original documents I needed. Some of the works were transcribed or scanned online through the library’s website. Others were available for free in the archives there… I got to handle the original documents from the 1700s. It was AMAZING
- The Library of Virginia also acts as a museum featuring documents, exhibits, and preserving history for others to see
I could go on, but I will stop there with why libraries are so fantastic. Have you been to your local library lately? Michelle visits Pohick Library as well and snapped these great photos of Santa looking for an audio book and the view from where she was sitting. Enjoy!