Hello everyone! I participated in the Love-a-Thon last year and thoroughly enjoyed it! Looking forward to participating again this year and meeting all of you (and some of you again!). To learn more about it, please visit the wonderful host Alexa at Alexa Loves Books.
This year, I’m going to only have one post per day. I’ll edit the post with each challenge I’m participating in for that day to avoid spamming myself.
- What’s your name? Michelle
- Where in the world are you blogging from? DC Metropolitan Area, Virginia
- How did you get into blogging in the first place? I have always played around with blogging since it first existed basically. But this blog came out of the post-school boredom and following the example of Steph at Cover2CoverBlog.
- How did you come up with your blog name? I have always had the Twitter handle “deckfullojokers”. I didn’t want to have to completely rebrand, but I also liked the meaning of it. Basically, it’s a deck full of wild cards–I have many interests and would talk about anything. My reading choices are much the same. I don’t limit myself to reading only a certain type of book or genre. Playing Jokers was a combination of both the direction I wanted the book blog to go in as well as my enjoyment of that metaphor.
- What genre do you read and review the most on your blog? Maybe young adult? But I read and review nonfiction, adult, young adult, genre fiction, really anything. As does my co-blogger Christina and contributors Ellen and Calvert! We are reading omnivores.
- What other types of posts do you do on your blog, apart from reviews? We do some discussion posts (want to do more!) and we are brainstorming a new set of features that will bring the blogging community together.
- Best blogging experience so far? Having met an author, reviewed his book, and had him continue to be excited about my review and interactions. It was thrilling to feel the connection with the book go beyond just the book itself and reach into an interaction with the author.
- Favorite thing about the blogging community? Learning about other readers and book events in the area. I have had a great time going to these events that otherwise I was simply just not clued into. And the support! The conversations!
- Name the 5 books you’re most excited for this 2015! I’m not exactly very good at knowing new releases or knowing which ones I’m excited for but I would definitely say A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab tops my list and stays there.
- What’s an underrated book or series that you think everyone should read? This is difficult because I don’t know what books or series are actually underrated. So picking one from out of my head randomly, The Hounds of the Morrigan by Pat O’Shea is definitely one of my favorite books that I don’t hear many people talking about.
- Which book boy or girl would be your book BFF? This is also hard for me…perhaps I’ll just go with the standard Hermione Granger. 😉
- Apart from reading, what are your other hobbies or interests? I am a TV junkie. When I have more time, I also like to knit/crochet, cross-stitch…basically be a little crafty. Video games are also a lot of fun.
- Apart from book shopping, what else do you like shopping for? Sometimes clothes, but that can also be very stressful. I have a thing for homemade soaps and novelty food items.
- At a party, the DJ suddenly changes the song – and it’s your song. What song would be playing? Maybe Sideways by Dierks Bentley. A good dancing song.
- Pick out either a book you want turned into a film/TV show, or a film/TV show you want turned into a book. I’d love to see Vicious by V.E. Schwab actually become a movie.