Hey everyone! So it’s the end of another month and the beginning of the next–already! What happened to August?
So I had all these grand plans on what was going to go up on the blog this month, but unfortunately life got in the way. August was a strange month for me. I went on two trips, back to back. One was for business and the other was a vacation. I started graduate school and all the stresses that that brings along. (In fact, I’m trying to write this post when I should be doing my homework! Ugh!)
We posted the following reviews in August:
And we posted the following non-reviews:
I felt like it wasn’t a successful reading month for me, but when I look at what my month’s reading goals were, I didn’t completely fail.
- I finished Landline by Rainbow Rowell. Audiobooks definitely helped me achieve my goals this month.
- I finished We Were Liars by E. Lockhart, again another audiobook. It was amazing!
- I finished Captain Alatriste…just very slowly. It wasn’t really the story I was expecting.
- And finally, I also finished Anna and the French Kiss. I liked it, but I don’t think I loved it as much as others do…oops!
That’s a total of 4 books for August. Considering I had set a goal of 8 books for the month, it’s not as impressive as it might have been otherwise. I still like setting my month’s reading goals though; you got to believe that I am always checking these posts throughout the month to figure out what I have next to read.
You might have noticed that while I have said I have finished those books above this month, that there are no reviews of them. For the first time in years, I have a backlog. I for some reason stopped reviewing books as soon as I finished them, so now I have such a backlog of books that I need to review that I don’t even know really where to begin. It’s quite daunting and I hate it because my reviews suffer the longer I have taken to write them.
So for September:
- I have just started reading Sing in the Morning, Cry at Night, so that will have to be an August goal book that gets carried over into the September goals. I won it to review from…Librarything I think.
- I still need to make sure I read and finish (and review) Lucky Us, a Netgalley book that I requested because it sounded interesting and I need to slowly chip away at my horrible approval ratio.
- And someday, sometime, I will finally finish We’re All Infected: Essays on AMC’s The Walking Dead and the Fate of the Human. At this point, I don’t think it would really make a huge difference if I didn’t finish it…blah. I won it to review from Librarything.
- The September book club book is Panopticon, but I don’t think I’m going to get around to reading it…but I’m still going to list it because that’s what a responsible book club member does.
- Disunion sounds like it would be more of a book in Christina’s line of interest as it’s essays on the civil war, but it’s one of those books from BEA 2013 that I feel guilty for grabbing and not reading so I’m going to give it a try.
- After attending a Cirque du Soleil show themed around a slightly twisted and whimsical circus and listening to vloggers discuss the Night Circus, I’ve decided that my random pick for the month will be Wonder Show.
- And finally, another Netgalley book that I want to read and review to help my approval ratio: Salt & Storm.
While normally, I’d list a book that has been on my TBR the longest, the three at the top of that list are both in a series and require more commitment than I can offer right now. I also think that I have enough on my reading plate for the month without making myself feel too bad. Maybe once I’ve knocked out all my review books, I’ll select one of those series and do a nice readathon for them?
So I’ve listed 7 books for September…we’ll see how much grad school affects my reading!
What are you planning on reading this month? Do you have anything exciting happening?