Love-a-Thon Challenge #4: Mash-Up

book-blogger-love-a-thon-2014

Mini-Challenge #4: Mash-Up

It’s a new day, and it’s also the final day of the Book Blogger Love-A-Thon. I know, I’ve totally been blowing up your reader feeds and pushing down the other content of my blog with like a thousand participatory posts. But I like having a different post for each challenge, because let’s face it: it’s easier for you guys to comment and boost my massive ego about the things I write on here. 😛 It also makes it easier for the link-ups, where we are all sharing our own takes on each challenge.

Don’t forget to follow on twitter at #loveathon! Yesterday, we got it trending! #1! It really was quite amazing.

For this challenge though, we must discuss in a creative way how books can be mashed up with our other hobbies. Well, two hobbies come to mind: yarn creations and video games. So for that, here are some wonderful crafts that I aspire to make based on one of my favorite books (and apparently yours too): Harry Potter

DSC04312

Epic throw! I’m not sure I can handle those patterned squares though!

harrydracodoll

And who wouldn’t want a Harry and Draco doll?

IMG_0348

I tried buying this at my local yarn store. But it was sold out. Fast.

For my other interest, I do love me some video games. But seriously, there are some really interesting cross-overs between role playing games and books. A lot of the time they are comic books, which while still awesome, aren’t really “my thing”. But here are some cool video game based books:

7796272

A graphic novel in the Mass Effect world

A mass market paperback in the Mass Effect world. Part of a series too!

A mass market paperback in the Mass Effect world. Part of a series too!

A prequel to the first video game...great mix media!

A prequel to the first video game…great mix media!

They even offered a special for the video game with this book

They even offered a special for the video game with this book

Basically there are a ton of mash-ups with my hobbies. I’m just not very good at seeking them at out!

What do you think?

• The Harry Potter knitting is amazing!!! I would kill for tht blanket. I wish I was a more talented knitter. My friend made a hilarious knitted doll of the Queen for her mom at Christmas, maby I can convince her to make me Harry and Draco. Love this post!

• Michelle Michelle says:

If you’re ever interested in working more at crochet and knitting, I HIGHLY recommend ravelry.com it’s the goodreads for yarn hobbies and you can find all kinds of patterns that will increase your skill level

• Hazel Lee says:

Oooohh, that Harry Potter blanket is amazing, but soooooooo time consuming! I don’t have the patience for big projects like that! My mash-up is about crochet too! =)

• Michelle Michelle says:

Yeah, I wish I had the patience to complete an afghan. Instead, I’m making scarves and ear warmers. But I do have a pattern for a crocheted coverlet thing, so we’ll see.

• Erin says:

Ack! I love that Harry Potter blanket.

Video games is a great hobby. I’m still playing Skyrim but heard great things about Fable!

Awesome mash-up!

• Michelle Michelle says:

Yeah you could be playing Skyrim forever. I haven’t beaten it and I feel like I played it for too long as it is. I am SUPER excited for Elder Scrolls Online though. I just have to figure out how to play video games on my PC now instead of a console because I will not be getting a next gen console anytime soon.

• Katelyn says:

That Harry Potter throw is AWESOME! I loved how you tied in your hobbies with books :)

• Michelle Michelle says:

Thanks! I actually have a Luna Lovegood scarf pattern in my “library” on Ravelry. So then I will back up what I am saying. :)

• I adore that Harry Potter throw!! I had no idea there was a HP knits book. I wish I was crafty enough to be able to do them.

• Michelle Michelle says:

Once you get the basics down, it’s actually something you can do while watching TV. It’s an easier hobby to multitask with than reading.

• Violet says:

A Hogwarts blanket? That’s fantastic! I love all of the ideas, and how you featured two of your different interests. I’m a Harry Potter fan as well, and that book of Harry Potter knits looked awesome- the owl sweater on the cover was such a neat design!! But I think the Hogwarts blanket was my favorite, I love the checkered squares of each house. This is such an awesome compilation!!

• Michelle Michelle says:

Thanks! Yeah, I love that owl sweater too…but I’ve never made clothes so I’m always a bit hesitant to make something that could end up in absolute disaster. Like my hat with a hole at the top. 😛

• Tizzy Potts says:

The Harry Potter Knits magazine seems amazing. I don’t really knit but I’d definitely take it up just to try some of those.

• One of my favorite authors, Brandon Sanderson, has written a video game-based book based on Infinity Blade. I haven’t read them, but if ever I was going to read one of those types of books that is totally where I would start!!

Love those knitting projects!

• Michelle Michelle says:

Oh, I think I’ve heard of that! There are also some great authors getting in on writing the plots for video games too, which is pretty awesome. It makes sense when you realize just how immersive and complex some RPGs are.

• oh my gods, I totes need that Harry Potter throw!!! That is so freakin awesome! Plus the Harry and Draco dolls?! Awesome. I need to learn to knit!! Loved your mash-up!!! <3

xo, Becca @Pivot Book Reviews

• Michelle Michelle says:

Yeah, I’d rock that throw. I’d want perhaps one that was only Gryffindor because I am quite proud that I was sorted into that House on Pottermore. 😛

• I’m in love with that Harry Potter throw. SO COOL.

• Michelle Michelle says:

Yeah, it’s definitely the fan favorite. I feel a bit guilty because I really doubt I’d have the patience/skill to make it myself but there you are! 😛

• Alexa S. says:

That’s certainly an epic throw! If you manage to create it, let me know. Because I would TOTALLY want to learn how to do it and have that epicness in my house.