Love-A-Thon Challenge #1: Book Spine Poetry

book-blogger-love-a-thon-2014

Mini Challenge #1: Book Spine Poetry

So the rules for this challenge are: Make up a poem using only the spine of books! You can use a picture or write out what books you would use in your book spine poem.

Now, once upon a time, I used to write creatively and have written my fair share of poems. Without spending like days on this challenge, it was hard for me to come up with something at least a little bit coherent. And looking at all the books I have added to my Goodreads’ account over the past 4ish years, apparently the titles that aren’t too specific are really quite depressing. So for a lovely, vague, confusing, and depressing poem for your Saturday, here you are!

In the City of BonesAll the Lovely Bad Ones dance in Club Dead
Where their Doll Bones shake to the sounds of The Bone Machine.
They are Fated to Fallout, like The Flame in the Mist.
For Darkness Shows the Stars and the Fuse with its Golden Spark
Catching Fire
to the tune of the Blood Song.

And when the club closes, The Bone Season ends,
American Gods going home with Foreign Gods, Inc.
Towards The Casual Vacancy and The Big Sleep.

Okay, so I added a few extra words! Sorry! But show me yours so I can see how it’s done!

What do you think?

• Great job :) I love your poem and I love a fair few of those books too!

Eeek, mine is tiny! It was so so difficult to use only book spines, I almost added extra words too.

• Michelle Michelle says:

Yeah, I wasn’t sure how else to do it. It’s my first time doing this so maybe next time I’ll be more clever and stick closer to the rules.

• So many titles with bones! Who knew? Awesome poem =)

• Michelle Michelle says:

Yeah, so here’s my confession: I used the books I had added to my Goodreads account. And I’m lazy, because I clearly didn’t stray too far from the B section. But it was very surprising to me that I’ve read so many books with Bone in them. An enlightening experience to be sure!

• Ooooh I like that! I love that you used titles but still made it your own poem. Very lovely!!! :)

• Michelle Michelle says:

Thanks! I had never done book spine poetry before and I guess I was a little confused on how strict it can be. I figured a short two stanza poem would be suitable…oh well!

• This was super fun – I actually like it with the additional words added in. You can tell you are definitely a creative writer!

• Michelle Michelle says:

Thanks! In reading others, I see how strict it could be, but I think adding the words helps strengthen the meaning of the poem, whatever it might be. I did try to limit the # of words I added.

• Lesley says:

So creative! Love it!!

• Katelyn says:

I LOVE this poem! It is equal parts dark, creepy, and beautiful! Very well done :)

• Michelle Michelle says:

Awww thanks! I was actually very surprised by how many morbid titles I have read or wanted to read…makes you wonder. 😛

• Great club theme in your poem! You definitely have a knack for this.

• Michelle Michelle says:

Thanks! I think I was actually thinking a bit about the club in Dark Kiss, which is strange because I didn’t really love that book.

• Alexa S. says:

You did an awesome job! I love how your poem is so haunting, and catches the reader completely off guard. It feels very dark, but in an enticing way 😀

• Jamie says:

I love how imaginative yours is! It creates this picture in my head! Very fun!

• Michelle Michelle says:

Thanks!! And let me just say, I couldn’t be more thrilled to see one of my blogging icons commenting! I appreciate it and love your blogs!

• Stephanie H. says:

Wow. Very creative! Love it!

• deshipley says:

This one sounds like it would make a cool spoken-word piece, read in a club with the audience nodding and snapping, maybe a bass player plucking in the background… Lol, yeah, clearly you’ve got my imagination fired up.

• Michelle Michelle says:

Aww thanks! Huge compliment. Funny story: when I used to write poetry, I was very much into spoken word. It was a thing my friends and I would write and go to. I wasn’t a great performer, but just sitting in a coffeehouse with everyone reading their pieces was so inspirational. :)

• NicoleLynn says:

This was a great poem! It had some great sounds throughout it and I really liked the imagery. :)

• Michelle Michelle says:

Thanks! I think it helps when you’re too lazy to move beyond a certain letter in your Goodreads book list…makes alliteration easy to stumble upon. 😛

• I love yours! The addition of the words between the sentences creates a flowing poem. The first is my fav :)

• Michelle Michelle says:

Thanks! Yeah, the first stanza has a lot more meat to it, but I felt like it needed a conclusion, hence the second stanza.

• Smart move to add in a few words! I refused to and had the worst time trying to put together coherent words together that would make sense haha!

• Michelle Michelle says:

Yeah, and even adding extra words didn’t really make it the most coherent poem! I guess I just like to stretch the rules as much as I can…I’m a word rebel! /not 😛

• Its’ creepy…I love it! I pretty much failed at Book Spine Poetry, but I really enjoyed reading yours. =)

Orchid @ The Haunting of Orchid Forsythia

• Michelle Michelle says:

Aww! I think we all thought we failed at it, but I think we definitely did a good job! At least this time we know how to do it for the next challenge! 😛

• Wow, this is so lovely! I especially love this line “For Darkness Shows the Stars and the Fuse with its Golden Spark” :)

• This is a little different but I like that ’cause it just makes so much more sense.

• Michelle Michelle says:

Yeah, I think I had too hard of a time trying to figure out how to get adjacent titles to make sense so I went rogue. 😛