BEA 2013: The Initial ‘Want’ List

As many bloggers have been announcing (or in fact announced months ago), Book Expo America is coming up. I will be in attendance! Despite my love for books and reading, I’m finding that I feel almost dumb when it comes to the different books that will be at the Expo compared to others. Perhaps my ear is not as close to the ground as it should be. Or perhaps there is a certain amount of leg work that needs to go into actually knowing which booksbook-expo-america to get excited about.

Book Expo America has released one list of books that will be at the expo. I believe that these are the books that are associated with signings in the Autographing Area. I went through that list to really try to figure out which ones I might be interested in—because I don’t know any really by name alone. This preliminary list is based only on the sentence blurb on the website. Clearly I will need to thin this list out a bit because there’s no way I should pursue all of these, or at least have the hopes to. Because clearly I’m in trouble! My game plan is to look into the details of these books a bit more to really try to figure out how I should prioritize them.

3:59 by Gretchen McNeil
A Beautiful Truth by Colin McAdam
A Field Guide to Little Known and Seldom Seen Birds of North America by John Sill
A Land More Kind Than Home by Wiley Cash
A World Without Heroes by Brandon Mull
Across A Star-Swept Sea by Diana Peterfreund
All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill
Alligator Alley by Rick Robinson
An Appetite for Wonder by Richard Dawkins
Antigoddess by Kendare Blake
Appletopia: Media Technology and the Religious Imagination of Steve by Brett Robinson
As She Left It: A Novel by Catriona McPherson
Backyard Foraging by Ellen Zachos
Bone Rattler by Eliot Pattison
Born of Illusion by Teri Brown
Called Again by Jennifer Pharr Davis
City of Bones (movie tie-in edition) by Cassandra Clare
Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas
Crystal City Lights by Holly Moulder
Daddy’s Gone A Hunting by Mary Higgins Clark
Death Angel by Linda Fairstein
Devil’s Den by Don Helin
Divergent: Book III by Veronica Roth
Drinking History: Fifteen Turning Points in the Making of American Beverages by Andrew F. Smith
Duke by Kirby Larson
Fallout by Todd Strasser
Far World: Air Keep by J. Scott Savage
Food Over Medicine: The Conversation That Could Save Your Life by Dr. Pam Popper
Foreign Gods, Inc. by Okey Ndibe
Gift of a Servant by David W. Luebbert
Heart Like Mine by Amy Hatvany
Help for the Haunted by John Searles
Hero by Alethea Kontis
Highs in the Low Fifties by Marion Winik
How to Love by Katie Cotugno
If You Were Here by Alafair Burke
In His Stead – A Father’s War by Judith Sanders
Invastion by Walter Dean Myers
Iris Has Free Time by Iris Smyles
Jacket: The Trials of a New Jersey Criminal Defense Attorney by John W. Hartmann
Journey to Virginland: CATENA by Armen Melikian
Taken by Erin Bowman
The 7th of London by Beau Schemery
The Apprentices by Maile Meloy
The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon
The Book of Paul by Richard Long
The Boyfriend App by Katie Sise
The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of Journalism by Doris Kearns Goodwin
The Color of Rain by Cori McCarthy
The Widow’s Strike by Brad Taylor
The Wolf Princess by Cathryn Constable
These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman
Tomorrow-Land by Joe Tirella
Touching American’s History by Meredith Mason Brown
Tumble & Fall
Twenty-One Days to Success Through Networking: The Life and Times of Gnik Rowten by Ken Williams
Twinmaker by Sean Williams
Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris
Unwholly by Neal Shusterman
Vicious by V.E. Schwab
Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuire
Wasteland by Susan Kim
Wild Card by Simone Elkeles
Written in My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon

Your turn! Have you heard of any of these? How would you prioritize the books? Are you going to BEA?

What do you think?

• Hannah says:

WHOA. That is a lot of books, girl. Gulp. I would definitely prioritize. Especially the HarperCollins ones because rarely are their books in the signing area used for galley drops. If an author is signing it, that’s your chance to get it, and because of the way their signings are back to back, you won’t be able to hit every line. The authors are too popular.

But I wish you the best of luck getting all you want. :) And keep an eye out for books that AREN’T on your list. I found some awesome treasures last year.

• Playing Jokers says:

Yeah I know! I really didn’t expect to have my list be that big. I definitely plan on narrowing down to the top 5, then the top 10, etc. But I think I’m mainly just going to winging my trip to BEA; going to try hard to go with the flow and enjoy it and not get too wrapped up in schedules. :)

• Pabkins says:

I’m glad to see your first list is as big as mine! Some I already knew about as super hot titles but others I was like “ooo this sounds so tasty!” I can only imagine the torment we’ll be in trying to get the ones we really want. I plan to print my “signing” book list and circle super important ones in a specific bright color. Then maybe highlight down the list as I’m able to pick them up. I don’t know if this will work since it’s my first year going.

Do you have a game plan yet?

• Playing Jokers says:

No game plan. They’re going to be really long days because I’m being super cheap and right now arriving early Thursday and leaving Friday evening. I’d like a small list of top priorities, and then a passing awareness of the others in case I have the chance to get them signed, etc.

• Melody says:

Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris
    Unwholly by Neal Shusterman
    Vicious by V.E. Schwab
    Wasteland by Susan Kim
    Wild Card by Simone Elkeles

• Playing Jokers says:

Oo yeah those are definitely the popular ones. I’ll admit, as much as I might like a book, I’m really not big on fighting for a spot in line/fighting for a galley. Of course, maybe once I’m in the middle of it, I could just find myself employing some of my concert maneuvering skills, but I think I will be keeping in mind the popularity of the books when I prioritize.

• Melody says:

You actually don’t have to fight for anything… just get in line for a signing or pick up a galley and keep it moving. The lines move more quickly than you think (minus the authors who talk a lot) and you can hit up 3-4 signings in a half hour if you’re quick, plan well, and aren’t just going to all of the “popular” signings. Although even with the popular signings, I’ve been to more than I thought I’d make plenty of times within an hour. I also walked right into a John Green line after all of the ticketed people went through and there were books left over to be signed. Be patient and aware of your surroundings, that’s all there is to it. It’s really not as difficult as people make it out to be. I do this all the time at BEA, SDCC, NYCC, etc… alone with no one to help me get to another signing “in time” all the way across the convention center and somehow still get 80-90% of the books I set out to get. As for galleys, you can always ask if they have copies of that book a few hours later, wait for another galley drop the next day, trade with people in line, or just keep a look out for abandoned books when people realize they have more than they need/want. And if you get a galley but miss a signing for the author, I’d advise you to keep the galley on you for the other days just in case you run into the author on the exhibit floor. It happens all the time. Have fun!